I have been wanting to write a post of all the things that Mitchell says. I hope that I can remember everything. After Mitchell turned two, he has really taken off on his talking. He still says things that I can't understand, but Chad and I are probably the best at interpreting because we are around him all the time. First of all, from early on Mitchell has put words into categories. Yes, this seems a little strange, but here is how it works. Everything that is round is called a ball. Not to long after he started saying this word he pointed at the globes on my mom's chandelier and said, "ball." Also we were in the park one time and he saw a dandelion and called it a ball. Then everything that has wheels is a car. I can tell him a hundred times that it is a truck, and he will call it a car. Another category is liquid. This is called juice. Juice has been one of his favorite words from the very beginning. One day he decided that he was going to be more descriptive and call it "apple juice." This liquid category has been quite funny. One day it was raining, and we were looking out the window. He pointed out the window and yelled, "Juice." He would also get into the bathtub and say that the water was juice. Chad taught him to call it "water juice." I am not sure if that really helps. Then one day we were in the store and he spotted a Dr. Pepper bottle. He called this "Momma juice." He also knows that Dada has "hot juice" in the mornings.
He still cannot say his own name, but he refers to himself as "Me." So it is "me sit" or "me eat" etc.
He has been able to say Nana and Papa for a long time, but poor Mamaw has not had a name. I have heard him say it a few times, but when he is around her he does not call her anything. There were a few times that he called her Papa. We think that Mamaw is to close to Momma. Then this past weekend we had the Davis family reunion, and I think that Mamaw has a new name. He is now calling her Grammy. I hope this will stick. He can also say Todd for his uncle and his aunt Audrey is called Audee. Mitchell is also calling me Mommy instead of Momma.
Mitchell has also started to get interested in colors. He has an Elmo coloring book and some crayons. He will do some coloring, but he mainly likes to get out the crayons and carry them around. His first color to say was purple. After that everything was purple. I guess it goes back to the category thing he has. But now he can say most of the colors and recognize them too.
His favorite number is two. He started recognizing this and saying this right when he turned two. That was very convenient. But yet again, he called every number two. He now can also recognize and say one.
Another funny story....Right before Mitchell turned two, I would tell him often that he was going to have a birthday and be two. Chad would also give him bites of food and tell him that had two bites. Then one day out of the blue, Mitchell said two and held up both of his pointer fingers. I had not taught him how to do this with his fingers. I was so proud that he learned this concept.
We still have a long ways to go with saying sentences, but he has said a few. They usually involve Elmo or his new favorite, Ernie. A few nights ago I made some broccoli for dinner. I have tried many times to get Mitchell to eat this, but I have not been successful. This night Chad and I started calling it trees. This got him interested, and he took a bite. He then wanted more. Then he said, "Me eat trees!" It was so cute!

0 comments:
Post a Comment