We had a breakthrough this week. I am almost embarrassed to share it because it seems like Mitchell should have been doing this months ago. I will tell you I have been working with him probably since he was around six months (I really can't remember, but it has been long) on clapping his hands. I see these little babies and they just clap their hands so cute, but for some reason my son would not do this. I would try to do patty cake and sing songs, but he refused. He did not like me to take his hands and put them together. He does like to pat me or the cat and sometimes gives a high five, but no clapping. Then it happened in really a funny way. We were sitting at the dinner table when I was bothered by some gnats. I put my hands together to try to kill one, and then Chad did the same thing. Then Mitchell put his hands together just like we had done. It was so funny you just had to be there. Then after that I said, "Mitchell clap your hands." And he did it! I was so proud. I thought this is just one of those things that will never happen again, but he really has learned it. Now I can tell him to clap his hands and he does it, even if he has a toy in his hands. I know this might sound kind of crazy to you, but it brings me such joy because I have been working so long on this. I don't know what happened, but something just clicked in his brain. Now if he would only listen when I say no! I know he knows what that means, but he chooses to ignore me.
Wednesday, September 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Yeah!! I knew you had been working on this with him. Glad to hear that he is clapping for you now. :) Let's get together soon. Right now, my fam is sick so I'll call you when we are all better.
Okay, Jennifer you are slacking on the updates!! :)
Post a Comment