On January 1st we said good-bye to the paci. I guess you could call it a New Year's resolution, but it was not something that we planned. It just happened. We were down to only one paci. I am not sure how those things disappear. I think maybe the furniture eats them. So, on the 1st we lost it in the house. We looked everywhere for it. After looking on and off all day, we just gave up and decided that it was time for Mitchell to not have it anymore. Chad said that we were not going to buy anymore, and we would just see how Mitchell would handle it. He actually did really well. I was worried about nap time and bed time, but he was fine. I gave him a soft blanket that he could hold when we went to bed, and that seemed to help. He was cranky for the first few days, but overall he does not seem to miss it. I eventually did find the paci in our office, and I just put it away in the closet.
Fast forward to a week later....We were so proud of Mitchell and just could not get over him doing so well. Mitchell and I were in my bedroom doing something when I saw him pick something up from under my dresser. I looked over and he had found a paci. It was one of those long lost ones. I did not want to just take it away, so I let him hold on to it for awhile. He did not put it in his mouth right away. He squeezed it and held on to it. Then I saw him run to his bedroom. He picked up one of his burp rags (another comfort object) and started rubbing his face with it. He then put the paci in his mouth. It so funny that he associates those two things together. Eventually he did take the paci out when he got interested in some toys. When he was not looking, I took the paci and put it in the closet.
You would think that this would be the end of everything, but no Mitchell found yet another paci! The other day we was playing with our cat in his bedroom. The cat was in a basket with a bunch of beanie baby bears. When the cat got out, Mitchell was digging down in the bears and pulled out another paci! I can't believe that he is finding all the long lost pacifiers. I pretty much did the same thing that I had done before. I let him have it for awhile, and when he took it out I secretly took it away.
Sometimes Mitchell goes into his room and points to his basket on his dresser. I think that he might be looking for another paci. I will get the basket down and let him pull everything out. So far he has not found any more pacifiers. I really feel like this has been the best decision. He is starting to talk more, and I think this is allowing him to be more expressive. Sometimes I miss the convenience of putting it in his mouth when he is throwing a fit, but that is a hurdle that I have to get over. My baby is growing up!
Tuesday, January 19, 2010
Good-bye Paci
Posted by Jennifer at 1:47 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
Good for you!! I'm not sure how we are going to break Kylie of hers. She is sooo attached. I'll probably have to cut off the end like I did for Addison. It's funny that he keeps finding more of them. Those things are so easy to lose!!
Post a Comment